Councilmember Price introduced motions to dedicate three intersections in recognition of Vernbro Medical Center, Good Shepherd Missionary Baptist Church of Los Angeles and Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church for their unwavering commitment and dedication to serving the District 9 community.
Built in 1953, Vernbro Medical Center was founded by a group of Black physicians at a time when most major hospitals refused to hire Black doctors. Today it serves as a place of inclusivity, where patients from all backgrounds and demographics receive care, with an emphasis of service to veterans and unhoused patients.
Founded by Reverend Grant Harris in 1949, Good Shepherd Baptist Church has been a staple in the CD9 community serving the great people of South LA for over seven decades.
Mount Zion Missionary Baptist Church parishioners worshiped in different locations for over 10 years until 1923 when the congregation moved to their permanent home on the corner of 50th Street and Hooper Avenue in the Central Alameda neighborhood of the District.